Friday, August 8, 2008

Sometimes as a photographer you really have to use your skills...





Today as I began photographing this adorable little family, Townes their precious two year old son was having no part of this cool, urban session. I mean he had no idea this would result in some awesome images of him with his mom and dad. He's two...
Sometimes as a photographer you really have to use skills way beyond a camera and an assistant. You have to use your college psychology, parenting skills and plain boy (tomboy in my case) instinct. Thank goodness I have two boys... I actually poured water on my head to get him into the idea of thinking about the fun and forgetting he was sitting still long enough for me to capture amazing images of him and his family. I thought I had used waterproof mascara and yeah, I didn't. I looked like I had a scary clown doing my makeup job by the end of this session. Black eye, wet hair and sweaty! Guess what? I truly loved every minute of it! It is such a challenge and yet so rewarding to be able to develop a concept with the client, which is usually accomplished through the consultation. Our goal is always a "believable, life stage portrait" of each family. After the session I return to the studio and get to see exactly what was captured and that's when I see the intial concept come to be. That's when it's really Wow for me! This was one of those Ah ha! sessions! Thanks, guys you were awesome!!!